The University of Mines and Technology (UMaT) started as the Tarkwa Technical Institute (TTI) on 3rd November, 1952 but was officially commissioned by the Government of Ghana, more precisely by His Excellency the Governor of the Gold Coast, Sir Charles Noble Arden Clarke, on 7th October, 1953. In 1961, the Government, upon the advocacy of the Ghana Chamber of Mines, redefined the mission of TTI to incorporate the training of mining technicians and other middle level manpower for the country’s mining and related industries.
In 1961, it was reorganized to become the Tarkwa School of Mines (TSM) to train the required manpower for the mining and allied industries in Ghana. In 1976, the Government took cognizance of the capability of TSM and its strategic location, Tarkwa, which is at the centre of mining activities in the country. As this location gave TSM a special strength for mining education, TSM was affiliated to the Kwame Nkrumah University of Science and Technology (KNUST) as a faculty of the University so as to enable TSM offer degree, diploma and certificate programmes in mining and related fields.
The name TSM was changed to KNUST School of Mines (KNUSTSM), Tarkwa. The KNUSTSM, Tarkwa and the Kumasi School of Mines were put together to become the Institute of Mining and Mineral Engineering (IMME).
In 1988, a University Rationalization Committee (URC), commissioned by the Ministry of Education, recommended the development of the School and its conversion into a University. In 2000, the conversion of KNUSTSM into a University was again strongly recommended by Louis Berger Inc. in association with Kwame Asante and Associates in a report on partial commercialization of KNUST.
In 2001, the Council of KNUST considered and approved proposals and recommendations of the Academic Board to merge the School of Mines at Kumasi and the School of Mines at Tarkwa into the Western University College of KNUST, Tarkwa.
On 3rd November, 2004, at exactly 11.35hrs GMT, the Parliament of the Republic of Ghana passed the bill on the University of Mines and Technology into an Act of Parliament. On 11th November, 2004, the President of Ghana gave the Presidential Assent and on 12th November, 2004 the University of Mines and Technology, Tarkwa Act 2004 (Act 677) was gazetted and thus, became a law.
The Takoradi Technical University was established in September, 2016, as a result of the government’s policy to convert Takoradi Polytechnic, among five other Polytechnics, to the status of Technical University. In effect, since April 1954, Takoradi Technical University (formerly Takoradi Polytechnic) has existed as a Government Technical Institute under the Ghana Education Service of the Ministry of Education. During that period, the institute offered programmes mainly at the Craft and Technician Certificate levels in commercial and technical subjects, awarding Royal Society of Arts (RSA) and City and Guilds of London, United Kingdom. However, in 1990, the Ghana Education Service took over the awards of the above-mentioned certificates.
As part of the Ghana Educational Reforms which began in the 1980s, the Takoradi Technical Institute and five other similar institutions were upgraded by the Polytechnic Act 321 (PNDC Law 1993) to become part of the Ghana Tertiary Education System. The Polytechnics, per the law, began to offer Higher National Diploma (HND) programmers in the 1993/1994 academic year. These reforms mandated the polytechnics to compliment the role of the Universities to increase access to tertiary education for the training of middle and higher-level manpower.
A Bill proposed by the Ministry of Education and considered by Cabinet of Government in 2014 was passed by Parliament as an Act in August 2016 with the assent of the President, converting some polytechnics into technical universities as full-fledged technical universities. In view of that, the Takoradi Polytechnic Council adopted the name “Takoradi Technical University” which has been duly registered with the Registrar General’s Department of Ghana.
Currently, Takoradi Technical University has three (3) campuses: Effia Kuma (Takoradi), Butumagyebu (Sekondi) and Akatakyi (Agona-Nkwanta). The Akatakyi Campus is the largest of the three, with an acreage of 152.3.